Sunday, February 27, 2005

Pawn-Tunes Make Me Float

The pawn shop. A magical place. A small store stuffed full of wonder. If I were a ballerina, I would totally twirl through that pawn shop with glee... while doing all that fancy tip-toeing shit.

For a music lover such as myself, it's hard to resist the shelves full of CD's nobody wants. An old album you had growing up that escaped your memory? A newer release you never got around to picking up? A hard to find album you've been looking for? You've heard one or two tracks of some obscure band and are curious to hear the entire album? You can find them all here, if you just take the time to look.

This is becoming a hobby of mine. An economic way to expand my ever growing library of music. You can pick up many classic albums, for $3 a piece. Though some of the plastic cases may be cracked, the albums come off as brand new when you put the discs in new cases. I find it interesting that where most people see a collection of useless old CD's, I see timeless joy. Esthero's "Breath From Another", Daft Punk's "Discovery", The Rembrandts's "L.P.", Aaliyah's "One In A Million", R.E.M.'s "Out Of Time", TLC's "CrazySexyCool", Eiffel 65's "Europop"... the list just goes on and on. All are classic albums I would have picked up in a second if I didn't already have them. That aside, I still managed to pick up the following albums that intrigued me for various reasons:
  • Dave Matthews Band - Crash
  • Freedy Johnston - This Perfect World
  • Collective Soul - Dosage
  • Toad The Wet Sprocket - In Light Syrup
  • Fastball - The Harsh Light Of Day
  • D12 - World
  • No Doubt - The Singles 1992-2003 (still sealed)
  • Mono - Formica Blues
  • Adam Sandler - What The Hell Happened To Me?
  • Hooters - One Way Home
  • Fastball - Make Your Mama Proud
  • Fleetwood Mac - Greatest Hits

PLUS... I also got the DVD "Weezer - Video Capture Device", which is a nice collection of many Weezer videos, with live footage and acoustic performances, etc. I got all of this stuff for under $40, which is really cool! I'll try to make it a point to check back every month or so, because stuff shifts around there often, and you never know what you might find.

Well I'm off for now. I'm working on my collection, and I still have much to add. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment