Friday, November 4, 2005

Magical History Tour




"We have come for many miles to rock you tonight... and we will."

What a great night! After looking forward to this show since getting the lower-level stagefront tickets about seven months ago, I was NOT disappointed.

The show, scheduled to start at 8pm, was delayed a good half-hour for some mysterious reason. At about 8:30pm or so, a DJ came out and played broken samples of McCartney's older stuff. It was very odd to see a DJ working the crowd before a Paul McCartney stuff, and although the lights were neat to look at, I'm not sure the slightly older majority of the crowd was really into it. Ten minutes later or so, my dad decided to go use the restroom. He had been waiting with our assumption that as soon as he left, Paul would come out. He came back and told me that in the restroom, another guy said to him, "This is bullshit! Where's Paul?". About 30 minutes later, he got his answer.

At about 8:50, the DJ left and a short lifespan documentary narrated by Sir Paul himself began on the giant screen over the stage. Spanning his Quarrymen & Beatles days... through his years with Wings, the solo material to follow, and his more recent fundraising/superbowl appearances... It was pretty interesting and relevant as a buildup to the beginning of the show. But the best part about it, of course, was knowing that any minute now we were all going to share a couple hours with The Man himself. Arguably the greatest musician/song writer in modern history. The Beatle. The legend. Sharing a room with me.

------------------------------------------------------------------
The set list:
  • Magical Mystery Tour
  • Flaming Pie
  • Jet
  • I'll Get You
  • Drive My Car
  • Till There Was You
  • Let Me Roll It
  • Got To Get You Into My Life
[A piano rises from under the stage. Paul tells us a story about how on the second night of the tour, he forgot there was a big hole from the piano area and fell down into it. He then sat down at the piano and played]
  • Fine Line
  • Maybe I'm Amazed
  • The Long And Winding Road
[The rest of his band leaves, and Paul takes out an acoustic guitar for a more intimate set]
  • In Spite Of All The Danger
  • I Will
  • Jenny Wren
[Back on the piano]
  • For No One
  • Fixing A Hole
  • English Tea
[Solo acoustic again]
  • I'll Follow The Sun
  • Follow Me
  • Blackbird (before which, Paul explains how the song was inspired by a Bach piece he and George used to play acoustically)
[The band returns]
  • Eleanor Rigby
  • Too Many People
  • She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
  • Good Day Sunshine (beforehand, Paul talk about how NASA used it to wake the crew of Discovery the day they could finally lead them back to Earth. (*I get the names mixed up sometimes, so if that's not the most recent one let me know*) He even shared the actual communications between NASA and the shuttle with us!)
  • Band On The Run
  • Penny Lane
  • I've Got A Feeling
  • Back In the U.S.S.R.
  • Hey Jude
  • Live And Let Die (including sweet pyrotechnics - a first for me!)
[Encore #1]
  • Yesterday
  • Get Back
  • Helter Skelter
[Encore #2]
  • Please Please Me
  • Let It Be
  • Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band (Reprise)
  • The End
------------------------------------------------------------------
37 songs!! An amazing concert... another one to move to the top of my list. My parents and I all enjoyed it immensely. It was the third time my mom had seen him live. The second for my dad, and the first for me. Unreal.

The only downside is in knowing that it may be the last chance we'll ever get to experience that again.

1 comment: