Monday, November 3, 2008

Red, White & New

There's little or no doubt that the United States is on the verge of a paradigm shift. A first in recent memory, I face this time with a sense of hope and faith in my fellow Americans... pending tomorrow's election results of course.

You might say my countrymen are beginning somewhat of an American reinvention; a fresh start. And as I leave for Jakarta this election day to pick up my soon-to-be-wife, I find it oddly coincidental and reflectively appropriate that she will be experiencing America for the first time, exactly when the U.S. begins this new journey. In a sense, it gives me the chance to discover a new-and-improved America through fresh eyes. I'll be vicariously experiencing this at Dian's side. While I'm very excited to share my freedom and my endless opportunity here with the love of my life, I'm also a bit nervous at the possibility of her being let down by my country in some way. Perhaps it won't live up to the hype and praise the United States has been known throughout the world for over the last couple centuries. (The past eight years haven't exactly been productive for us.)

One thing is clear to me however. No matter how this election ends up, it's refreshing and inspiring to see the passion of the American people resurfacing. It's well overdue and it's been dormant for far too long. It may not yet be entirely obvious, but the American spirit is still alive and kicking.

The heart of America is still beating.

1 comment:

  1. Good writing, baby. I am always proud of you.

    Travel safe, my love.

    ReplyDelete