Friday, March 13, 2009

The Collector

It's interesting how certain things from your past helped shape you more than you often realize. I like to find things. I like to collect. I like to take things from where they don't belong, and recirculate them into the places they do.

From the time I was little, my family would go out along the edges of our city's golf course and search for lost golf balls. As simple of an activity as that may sound, I realize now that it was quite a productive hobby. It was exercise. It was entertaining; like a weekly easter egg hunt. It was time the family spent together. It saved my dad from having to spend money on new golf balls. And it made me a few extra bucks when I would sell the rest to random golfers.

It's been years now since we last went golf ball hunting. But some part of my brain still lights up on occasion the way it did when spotting a ball in the brush. It's the same feeling now when I see recyclable items (bottles, cans, etc) in a garbage can. That tells me something. Maybe it's a sign. Maybe it's the universe trying to tell me something.

With the mentality of knowing that every little bit helps in the end, I can't help feeling that there's so much I could do about all this unnecessary waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment