Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Meltdown Begins

2014 is going to be an interesting year.

2013 wrapped up as a solid year for me. I was able to make a lot of personal progress and overcome some previous hang-ups. I've put many secret plans in motion for 2014, but unfortunately some of them have already hit a giant snag. ... I'm getting laid off. This setback will likely take me months to recover from. I've never been one to put much stock into the idea of having a career, which makes me a "loser" in some peoples' eyes. In my way of thinking, a job is just a job, and the only reason I work is because I essentially have no choice. (I work to live, I don't live to work.) With that said, I'd be lying if I said I've been handling this transition well. The truth is, even before the news of the lay-off, one of my major goals for 2014 was to finally begin therapy. This is something I've always wanted, and more accurately, NEEDED to do. Now with the loss of my insurance, that's going to be delayed until I can find more that will help cover it. But this is still the plan.

Some people will say that being in therapy means you're weak. I believe the opposite. We all have issues, and anyone who thinks they don't is only lying to themselves. Being in therapy means you're making an effort to work on those issues. It takes a lot of strength... and patience, to expose yourself and admit all of your flaws in order to begin rebuilding. I'm ready to do just that. You cannot grow if you don't change. Then again, maybe this is all just a crazy person talking.

1 comment:

  1. Keep it up. I am going through therapy myself. I have been diagnosed with having ADHD and recently let go from my job. Live one day at time and try to make it better for the issues that we always have.

    ReplyDelete